If you have diabetes it can affect many other aspects of your life and health. 1 in 10 Americans can suffer from Diabetes. People with Diabetes are also at risk for mouth infections, especially periodontal disease.
If you have diabetes, it can cause problems with your mouth and dental health. It can damage your gums and bone that hold your teeth in place and it may lead to painful chewing difficulties. Periodontal disease may make it difficult to control your blood glucose (blood sugar) as well.
If you have diabetes, you may be experiencing have dry mouth or a fungal infection that is called thrush. Thrush causes painful white patches in your mouth. Your diabetes may also cause your glucose level in your saliva to increase.
If you have Diabetes be sure to:
- Maintain the health of your teeth and gums by flossing and brushing everyday.
- Visit your dentist regularly.
- Continue to care for your diabetes and blood glucose, so it does not affect your dental health.
- Quit smoking. Smoking escalates your gum disease to a dangerous level.
- Check your mouth regularly for any problems such as bleeding gums, dryness, soreness, white patches, or a foul taste in your mouth.
Dr. Zhang would be happy to discuss all of your dental needs with you related to your diabetes. Be sure to let her know you have diabetes when you have your appointment, and her entire staff will help ensure the proper care of your dental health related to your diabetes.
Posted of behalf of Mendota Springs Dentistry
Mendota Springs Dentistry
Fitchburg, WI 53719